Good nutrition is important for cancer patients.
Nutrition is a process in which food is taken in and used by the body for growth, to keep the body healthy, and to replace tissue. Good nutrition is important for good health. Eating the right kinds of foods before, during, and after cancer treatment can help the patient feel better and stay stronger.
Healthy eating habits are important during cancer treatment.
Nutrition Therapy is used to help cancer patients get the nutrients they need to keep up their body weight and strength, keep body tissue healthy, and fight infection. Eating habits that are good for cancer patients can be very different from the usual healthy eating guidelines. Healthy eating habits and good nutrition can help patients deal with the effects of cancer and its treatment. Some cancer treatments work better when the patient is well nourished and gets enough calories and protein in the diet. Patients who are well nourished may have a better prognosis (chance of recovery) and quality of life.
Cancer and cancer treatments may affect nutrition.
For many patients, the effects of cancer and cancer treatments make it hard to eat well. Cancer treatments that affect nutrition include surgery , chemotherapy, radiation therapy to name a few.
The side effects of cancer and cancer treatment that can affect eating include Anorexia (loss of appetite), Mouth sores, Dry mouth, Trouble swallowing, Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Constipation , Pain , Depression, Anxiety.
Cancer and cancer treatments may affect taste, smell, appetite, and the ability to eat enough food or absorb the nutrients from food. This can cause malnutrition (a condition caused by a lack of key nutrients). Malnutrition can cause the patient to be weak, tired, and unable to fight infections or get through cancer treatment. Malnutrition may be made worse if the cancer grows or spreads. Eating too little protein and calories is a very common problem for cancer patients. Having enough protein and calories is important for healing, fighting infection, and having enough energy.
It is important that cancer symptoms and side effects that affect eating and cause weight loss are treated early.
RESHAPE YOUR DIET
- Include different coloured fruits and vegetable s. these provide anti oxidants which help fight cancer and increase immunity.
- Include more of complex carbohydrates e.g. whole wheat, oats, jowar bajra etc and limit the use of simple sugars in your diet.
- Include different type of beans e.g. green beans, kidney beans, French beans, soya beans etc
- Reduce the amount of saturated fats found in whole milk, meats, butter baked goods etc
- Try and include different nuts to help boost your health e.g. sesame, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, kishmish etc
- Say no to alcohol
- Include green tea which contains good polyphenols
- Stay away from packaged and processed foods containing any artificial colour, emulsifiers, flavor enhancers etc
- Maintain your hydration status. Have plenty of fluids in the form of nimbu pani, buttermilk, fresh juices, coconut water, aam panna etc
- Wash your hands thoroughly before handling of food, keep the kitchen clean, wash work tops before preparation of food.