Dr(Col) R Ranga Rao, VSM had a long career of 28 ½ years in armed forces medical services and over 10 years in cancer centres in New Delhi. In his long exemplary career, he has gained a vast clinical, administrative and organizational experience.
He is known for his excellent clinical skills, compassion, clarity, good analysis, holistic approach and excellent communication. With his administrative and managerial skills he has been able to establish new entities in armed forces such as armed forces oncology group, first ever day care chemotherapy centre, a cancer patient support group “Prerna” with the help of AWWA, computerized OPD. He has been an an integral part of many oncology conferences in armed forces and in New Delhi. Noteworthy of them are RGCON 2009, ask-10 in 2010, and first ever Indian Cancer Congress (ICC 2013). He is founder member and secretary (currently vice president) of oncology forum of delhi ncr. He is member of several prestigious societies such as American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO), Indian society of oncology (ISO) and many more. He is on the editorial board of various national and international oncology journals.
He has been a teacher in medicine and medical oncology at various institutes he has served and is recognized as a good and systematic teacher. Many students have completed their pg courses under him.
Service in Armed Forces Medical Services of India
- 2002- Jan 2006: Professor & Senior Adviser in Medical Oncology, Head Medical Oncology and Oncology Centre, Army Hospital (R &R), New Delhi.
- 1993- Feb 2002: Medical Oncologist at Oncology centres in Armed Forces at Pune, Kolkata, Mumbai.
- 1991- Mar 1993: Two year training in medical oncology on study leave at Dr Muthulaxmi College of Oncological Sciences and Cancer Institute, Adayar, Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
- 1984-1991: Internal Medicine Specialist for 7 years including teaching appointment.
- 1982-1984: Two year training in Internal Medicine at Armed Forces Medical College, Pune and completed MD (Internal Medicine) from Pune University.
- 1977-1982: Medical Officer at Pune, Ladakh, Ranchi
Appointments held in hospitals in New Delhi – NCR
- He is currently working as Chairman of Paras Cancer Center, Gurugram.
- 19 Nov 2014 – 7 Dec 2019: Director Oncology Services & HOD Medical Oncology, Max Superspeciality Hospital, Shalimar Bagh, New Delhi
- 18 April to 18 Nov 2014: Director – BLK Cancer Centre, HOD and Senior Consultant – Medical Oncology, BLK Super Specialty Hospital, Pusa Road, New Delhi 110 005
- 01 Nov 2009 to 18 April 2011: Director – Artemis Cancer Centre, HOD and Senior Consultant -Medical Oncology, Artemis Health Institute, Gurgaon , Haryana 122001
- 01 Feb 2006 to 31 Oct 2009: Senior Consultant, Professor and Coordinator, Dept of Medical Oncology, Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute & Research Centre, New Delhi.
Membership Professional Bodies
- Association of Physicians of India (API)
- Indian Society of Oncology (ISO)
- Indian Society of Medical and Paediatric Oncology (ISMPO)
- European Society of Medical Oncology. (ESMO)
- Indian Cooperative Oncology Network (ICON)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
|S. No.||Unit||Appt||From||To||Teaching Experience|
|1||AFMC Pune||Clinical Tutor (Med)||Dec 1984||Feb 1987||2 Years 2 Months|
|2||MDTC, CH(SC) Pune||ClSpl (Med &Onco)||Mar 1993||Oct 1997||4 years 7 months|
|3||CH(EC) Kolkata||Oct 1997||Apr 2000||2 years 5 months|
|4||INHS Asvini, Mumbai||Apr 2000||Feb 2002||1 years 1 months|
|Delhi University||Professor of Medicine||July 2002 to Jan 2006|
|5||National Board of Examinations, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi||Professor of Medical Oncology||Dec 2002 till date|
|6||Army Hospital R & R||do||Feb 2002||31 Jan 2006||3 years 11 months|
|7||Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and research centre||do||Feb 2006||Oct 2009||3 years 8 months|
|8||Artemis Health Institute||do||Nov 2009||April 2011||1 year and 5 months|
|9||BLK Super speciality Hospital||Do||April 2011||Nov 2014||3 years and 7 months|
|10||Max Super Speciality Hospital, Shalimar Bagh||Do||Dec,|
|1||DNB examination theory and/or practical||Examiner||2018, 2014, 2004 and 2005|
|2||DM (Medical Oncology) of Dr M G R Medical University, Chennai.||Examiner|
- Assessment of toxicity profile of chemotherapy in Indian geriatric patient population and utility of CRASH (chemotherapy risk assessment scale for high age patients) score”
- To evaluate the incident of skeletal related events(SRE)in metastatic bone disease and their co-relation with baseline bone density and vitamin D levels in a tertiary care cancer centre.
- Incidence of Neuropathy with weekly Paclitaxel and role of oral Glutamine Supplementation for prevention of Paclitaxel induced peripheral neuropathy.
- Clinical profile and response of chemotherapeutic agents in recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer: A retrospective in tertiary Cancer Institute.
- A prospective case control study to detect the association of Human papilloma virus and oropharyngeal cancer in a tertiary care level oncology centre in North India.
- To assess the efficacy of Targeted Therapy along with Chemotherapy in Recurrent and metastatic Head and neck cancer.
- A prospective study of quality of life and toxicity in patients of breast cancer on dose dense regimen.